- 'Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants.'
- -- U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis
- 'Secrecy is the badge of fraud'
- -- Sir John Chadwick (b. 1941), British judge
- 'Every thing secret degenerates, even the administration of justice; nothing is safe that does not show how it can bear discussion and publicity.'
- -- Lord Acton (1834-1902), English historian
- 'The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum.'
- --Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965), American statesman
- 'Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.'
- --John Milton (1608-74), English poet
BAN is the world's only organization focused on confronting the global environmental injustice and economic inefficiency of toxic trade (toxic wastes, products and technologies) and its devastating impacts.
Working at the nexus of human rights and environment, we confront the issues of environmental justice at a macro level, preventing disproportionate and unsustainable dumping of the world's toxic waste and pollution on our global village's poorest residents.
At the same time we actively promote the sustainable and just solutions to our consumption and waste crises -- banning waste trade, while promoting green, toxic free and democratic design of consumer products.
BAN is a 501(c)3 charitable organization of the United States, based in Seattle, Washington
See: Jennifer Clapp. (2010). Toxic Exports: The Transfer of Hazardous Wastes from Rich to Poor Countries. Cornell Univ Press. 2010.
See: Barlow, Maude. Blue Covenant: The Global Water Crisis and the Coming Battle for the Right to Water. The New Press, 2009.